Monday, January 11, 2010

These boots were made for walkin'






Since my last posting-l've been places...
Summer 2009 was an incredible summer-and a busy one-working as a Wilderness Ranger for the Forest Service












And teaching Art at The Canvas








































I also had a show at the Silverbow in Juneau during the month of August entitled "Just for the Halibut" (http://www.silverbowinn.com/)



And sold artwork to Annie Kails (http://www.anniekaills.com/)




When I returned to Montana in the fall, I was excited to start creating in my new art studio. It has 15 windows-mostly south facing-with amazing views into the woods.













I love my kickwheel (Thanks, Canvas!) Tim and I brought it down from Alaska)
















I needed clay, so my buddy Corey and I took a trip to Helena to Archie Bray...
(http://www.archiebray.org/)














And I picked up 750 lbs of clay (yeah, Josh--thumbs up!)












And then I went to work on insulating my kiln room.






















Packing the first load into the kiln on Dipsey Doodle Lane!












I'm really excited about this new creation: Xtra Tufs!! Inspired by the world's greatest boot, I wear these things every day I'm out in the field for the Forest Service, and on days it's raining in Juneau. So, yeah-pretty much every day. Did I mention that every man, woman and child in Southeast Alaska owns a pair of these?


My first 2 ceramic XtraTufs were created as gifts for the world's greatest people: My Dad




































And Tim (my husband)








































Over the summer and into the fall I've had so much inspiration...







From the Museum of Modern Art....

(October: New York, New York)
















To the World Wilderness Congress...

(November: Merida, Mexico)
















To the natural world....

















My boots have been places.












































































































































4 comments:

  1. Love your work!!!!!!!!!! More more more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! It was great to chat with you this morning and find out about a blog update. Your studio is GORGEOUS, I love the windows. The extratufs are extra wonderful. Can you talk the company into making some boots with those sort of rocking treads?

    See you in April!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT update, Barbara!! I can't wait to see you again - and I LOVE those boots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to Girdwood's Center for Visual Arts! I can't wait to see more of your work and hopefully sell some for you too!
    -Rachel Sullivan
    HibernationTextiles.com

    ReplyDelete